Windows Update Problems
Some quick fixes for some Windows Update issues
Clearing the Windows Update Cache
The issue came about after imaging my PC. I discovered that windows update would fail when attempting to update Office SP1.
This can happen if partitioning has been changed, re-sized, cloned, or otherwise modified.
To resolve this problem attempt clearing the Windows Update cache, and then Check for updates again.
How to clear the Windows Update cache
- 1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
- 2. Click Continue or provide Administrator credentials as needed.
- 3. In the Command Prompt window type the following and press Enter after each line:
net stop wuauserv ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.OLD net start wuauserv
- 4. Now click Start, click All Programs, and then Windows Update.
- 5. Then click Check for updates, and attempt reinstalling the failed update.
This wiki tutorial is incomplete.